Men’s Travel Grooming EssentialsWritten by Advice Team on June 26, 2017
When it comes to travelling men generally tend to fall into one of two camps; those who throw everything they own into their suitcase and those who grab their wallet, phone and passport and keep their fingers crossed that everything they need will be provided by the hotel or available to buy at a local store. But there is a middle ground!
With British hand luggage restrictions standing at one small case per traveller (generally weighing no more than 10kg), with 1 transparent, sealable plastic bag and no liquids in containers over 100ml, size, weight and convenience are key. Here’s our 10 top men’s travel grooming products; a list of essential items to keep you clean, fresh, shaven and coiffed for the duration of your getaway.
1. Toothbrush & Toothpaste While electric toothbrushes are suitable for long haul travel a regular manual toothbrush will save both space and weight for short trips. If you can’t bare the thought of being without a powered toothbrush the Oral B Pulsar manual toothbrush is a great option. The gentle battery-powered pulsing head lifts up food and plaque and gently stimulates gum, giving a deep clean without the worry of losing charge.
When it comes to toothpaste, rather than carrying your full family-sized tube, go for a travel-sized version for an easy space saving win.
2. Face Wash If you suffer from even remotely sensitive skin you know better than trying a new facial product for the first time abroad, so it’s worth carrying a quality face wash. The Australian Bodycare Facial Wash with Tea Tree oil is a mild cleanser which purifies and rejuvenates the skin leaving it clean and fresh without drying your skin. Available in a hand-luggage friendly 100ml tube it is perfect for flying visits.
3. Shower Gel After traveling the first thing you want to do is have a good rinse with your favourite shower gel. Most men’s grooming brands manufacture smaller, flight friendly versions of their best-sellers which are a must if you have space and weight restrictions. The Australian BodyCare Body Wash with Tea Tree oil is a rejuvenating body wash that removes impurities, bacteria and excess oil - perfect for cleansing after a day spent on a hot, crowded plane. It does however come in a 200ml tube so if are travelling with hand-luggage only you will need to decant some into a smaller bottle.
4. Shampoo & Conditioner Like with shower gel, when it comes to hair washing it’s best to either get travel versions of your favourite brand or decant some product from your bathroom bottle into a small travel size container, otherwise you will pay for it in the weight department. Another option is to choose a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner for your get away and leave the individual bottles at home.
The Uppercut range of hair products have a great peppermint scent and will keep your hair and scalp clean and nourished throughout your trip. They do however come in 250ml bottles so don’t forget to decant them.
5. Moisturiser / After Shave Balm When you’re travelling short-haul, multi-purpose products are the name of the game, so go for a moisturiser that will also act as an effective post-shave soother. The King of Shaves SuperShield Super Hydration Ultimate Face Moisturiser is a great dual purpose moisturiser and after shave balm in one. It’s light and quickly absorbed, and designed to nourish, soothe and hydrate the skin leaving it feeling matt, supple and smooth.
6. Razor Razors with open or removable blades are not allowed within the cabin so ensure you pack double-edged safety razors, cut throat razors and straight razors in your hold luggage. If you are travelling with hand luggage only go for a cartridge razor with inbuilt blades such as the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Razor. The ProGlide has thinner, finer blades than ever before – reducing tug and pull, and subsequently shaving irritation which is great for sun soaked holiday skin.
If you favour electric shaving the Braun M-90 Pocket Go with Trimmer Battery electric shaver is a great holiday option. Compact, lightweight and portable, it fits perfectly into your wash bag making it ideal for travel.
M-90 Pocket Go With Trimmer Battery Men's Electric Shaver In stock and ready for dispatch!
7. Shaving Cream Pressurised cans of shaving foam can’t be taken within the cabin so if you are travelling with hand-luggage go for a gel, cream or soap. The eShave range of shaving soaps generate a rich lather (when applied with a shaving brush), provide a long lasting, highly moisturised shave and leave skin feeling smooth and soft. It also comes in a range of great summery flavours.
If you don’t have the space for a shaving brush go for a gel designed for sensitive skin such as the King of Shaves Alphagel Sensitive Skin Shaving Gel to protect, moisturise and lubricate travel weary skin.
8. Styling Products Even when you are chilling on holiday bed head is not cool. Take a small container of wax with you which you can rake through your hair with your fingers post-shower for a relaxed day vibe or work it through with a comb for a more styled evening look. Uppercut have a great range of waxes which range in weight from master hold through to featherweight so there’s an option for everyone.
9. Antiperspirant Deodorant Aerosol deodorants are not allowed within the cabin, therefore unless you have hold luggage a roll-on or stick deodorant is the best option. They are also smaller and less bulky than spray-on deodorants making them more space efficient for long-haul too. The Sure For Men Odour Protection roll on has been designed to reduce 90% of odour causing bacteria that live on the underarm's surface, leaving you feeling and smelling fresh even in the hottest of climes.
10. After Shave A good quality aftershave is the last product for your bag and the finishing touch to a good grooming routine. Go for an alcohol free version such as the Phytomer Homme Rasage Perfect Aftershave. The Homme is a refreshing, alcohol free aftershave which cools the skin and calms razor burn and it’s available in a travel-friendly 100ml bottle.
Don’t forget a functional and durable wash bag to hold all of your travel grooming essentials. Our current favourite is the Uppercut Deluxe Filled Wash Bag which comes with shave cream, aftershave moisturiser, soap and toothbrush - bonus!
Other Useful Items
- Paracetamol and prescription medication (don’t forget to include a copy of your prescription)
- Plasters (especially if you plan on doing lots of walking)
- Wet wipes (for freshening up on the move)
- Sun cream (a must if you’re traveling to warmer climes)
- Eye roll-on (instantly revives tired, puffy travel weary eyes)
- Lip balm (go for a shine-free balm with a paraben and fragrance-free formula for a natural look)
- Comb (for keeping you looking groomed and slick)